Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 3: "The Basics, Point and Shoot" con’t Page 26



I started trying to use the automatic Digital Vari-Programs such as Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports etc. I was not successful in getting a picture using one of those modes I was happy with. So I just started tinkering. I took this picture roughly a zillion times using different modes, ISO speeds and shutter speeds then picked the one I was happiest with. By the time I was done, I couldn’t really remember what I had changed when. I’m not really sure I learned much more than how to maneuver around the settings a bit faster, a useful skill indeed. :)

Better? Tried lmorrow and ratbar's suggestions:

12 comments:

  1. The composition is beautiful but a bit more light would have made this pop, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with lmorrow57, either an off camera flash or even a curves adjustment in photoshop to kick up the contrast and maybe the dodge tool on the white flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I completely agree the first one was a bit dark, and I do like what you have done with the second go. Much nicer and less murky. Know thy camera gear is a very good thing, so if you managed to get around it faster and easier (preferably without looking and with your eye pressed to the eyepiece), then you have learned a lot indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point made re getting ones fingers around the camera settings fast, sometimes it really does help.
    I like the 2nd one, you could still crank up the contrast more in PS. For some reason most DSLR's images need some sort of boost in post processing.
    I love the composition, it's very well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes...I'm liking number 2 very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely composition. The edit makes it look just wonderful. As for the settings, I never use anything other than the Manual settings.. it doesn't take very long and you will know how to change them without looking so I think your lesson for today, albeit not what you expected, was a more valuable one! :-)

    eury/chezeury.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's see....camera manual + helpful Worthians = awesome image! Yes, agree that the 2nd one, lighter, is more engaging, and shows a lot more detail and less shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful conposition. It's such a restful photo to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely complementary color use :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much better! The lighting and contrast really improved :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once you start going manual you never want to go back. I always state that if the result is not good it's my own mistake, if it's good I can credit myself, not the camera.

    ReplyDelete