
I tinkered with switching between Matrix, Center Weighted and Spot Metering this evening. I don’t know that it made a huge difference for this particular photo, but I am glad to finally know wth it means! FYI, the dust is on purpose… yeah, that’s it, on purpose!
Thanks for the advice Eury, I didn’t see anything about curtain sections of the manual. The topics are: First Steps, Basic Photography, PSA and M modes, Changing settings, playback, Connecting to PC, Menu Guide, Setup, Retouch, Accessories. I’m somewhat disappointed, I suppose I should have read it before I picked it as a topic! I’m thinking about one of these titles if anyone has any experience with them or suggestions of better titles, I’d love to hear it:
One
Two
Three

Oh, as for yesterday, I didn't realize that you have a Nikon D60. The curtain is called Rear Curtain. When you are using MANUAL mode, you should find this in your Flash Synch modes... ordinary flash is FRONT CURTAIN, the 2nd mode is RED EYE reduction and then REAR CURTAIN. Let's say you are taking a picture of a moving billiard ball, REAR curtain would allow you to get the movement first then stop the motion after and get the ball in focus. You should also play around with Fast and Slow speeds. Set the speed quite fast.. (make the ISO higher if you need more light) and capture stop motion pics, such as people jumping up and down or a water drop suspending in air. Slow motion, slowing down the speed, is useful to get movement, such as water that looks like it is swirling. IT is also useful to paint light on an object while in the dark.. and hi-light only the portions that you want. You could also try to do panning. This is where you follow an object with your camera, (such as a bike or a car or someone running etc., ) They will be very in focus, but the background will be very blurry showing the sense of motion. You will find these option in the MANUAL portion of your manual.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting gallery with a great variety of pics which I'm enjoying.
ReplyDeletesgatanstu
Oh how I would love to borrow this toy for one of my shoots. Very nice!
ReplyDeleteI didn't notice the dust til you mentioned it and I had to look very very closely. Well done on today's shot.
ReplyDeleteHey you got an actual photo lesson from Eury up there ^^. Lucky you. I thought you were doing a tribute to Rhiannonsmommy. I did not notice the dust either, but I did notice how your two-color background all but hides the delightful vulture. I am going to ask you for lessons when this is over. :)
ReplyDeleteMalificent! (that is Malificent, right?) I haven't fiddled much with metering, either. My setting is almost always set to 'spot'. Maybe I should read my own manual...
ReplyDeleteHey the dust cuts reflections, cool I now have a reason for my dust. :-)
ReplyDeleteI sometimes change my metering, especially when taking a subject in front of a lighter background.
I was just checking some terminology on Google and found an article about my camera and a firmware upgrade to remedy the unpredictable ESP and Center weighted metering in certain conditions.
So your theme today has helped me out.Thank you.
Great choice of subject. Watch your backgrounds cos there are some distracting elements in there. Great lighting.
ReplyDelete